Our dreams come from the limits of our imagination. Our knowledge, expertise and skill and fuel our imagination to new heights and we believe that by arming our makers with knowledge, they will dream bigger!
In MakersMath, our makers learn a wide range of practical and theoretical math principles, aligned to the school curriculum. This knowledge will support them being comfortable with maths for life.
We learn how to create our dreams and imaginations in the real world through design thinking, planning and earned expertise.
In MakersMath, we create real world demonstrations of the math principles being learned. Creating a real world connection to the math is critical for immediate application of the learnings and develops an appreciation for why math is being learned.
Our makers build something new everyday! They use natural and fully recyclable materials to make all sorts of wonderful creations – that they always get to keep.
In MakersMath, our students use physical objects to make models of their math problems. This enables to literally see errors and understand the meaning behind the numbers.
Our makers inspire themselves and others to look at the world as something to be understood and something that can always be improved.
In MakersMath, we focus on inspiring a lifelong appreciation and comfort with math, since it is such an important foundation for all STEM disciplines. Instruction, peer to peer activities and fun all produce a math environment where your little maker can excel.
What is MakersMath?
- MakersMath is a math tutoring program aligned to the grade structure of the provincial math curriculum in British Columbia, Canada and consistent with Canadian math standards.
- We hold grade specific classes (or 2 grade split classes) to focus on exactly what your little maker needs to build a solid math foundation and augment what they learn in school.
- MakersMath helps students comprehend the real application of math versus abstract paper exercises.
- For example, calculating arcs on paper will teach you the math, calculating arcs in real life to help your catapult you just made be more accurate is fun math in action.
- Another example, instead of learning about algebra on paper alone, imagine working on predicting the outcome of a model car race by calculating acceleration (which is an unknown but we do know the distance, motor speed, tire revolution rate and time – so we’re good).
- Even for our youngest mathematicians, learning to count, add subtract and multiply using physical objects builds much faster and strong comprehension of basic principles to build upon.
- MakersMath uproots the “I won’t use this in real life” view from our makers through showing them how math and their daily lives compliment each other and enable more of a broader understanding of the world around them.
- Through genuine comprehension of the “what the maths do for you”, our makers demonstrate improved confidence, knowhow and skill in performing a wide range of practical and theoretical math.
- MakersMath is ideal for students who wish to improve their math abilities and understanding, whether that be to support their current grade level or advance beyond the school curriculum.
- Our placement will ensure your makers are always challenged and never left behind.