- This event has passed.
Summer Camp “Not-Lost-In-Space” – Ages 8 to12 – June 27, 2022 to June 30, 2022 – All Day – 8:30am to 4:30pm – SOLD OUT!
June 29 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
An event every day that begins at 8:30 am, repeating until June 30, 2022
Weekly Theme – Not-Lost-In-Space!
Outer space is a source of imagination, inspiration, exploration and adventure – truly the perfect backdrop for a summer camp focused on getting to know more about our solar system and our place in the universe!
During the week, your little maker will:
- LEARN about a wide range of space topics (from constellations to how planets form to space travel to the Big Bang and more!)
- BUILD their own creations (ranging from solar systems to robots) using child safe tools and builders kits – all which they get to keep!
- EXPERIENCE two field trips in our MINIBus to the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre – aka “the Vancouver Planetarium and Science World (admission and transportation included),
- PERFORM a number of science experiments (e.g. making their very own dry ice comet, gas spectrometry to demonstrate how scientists analyze exoplanets – planets orbiting distant stars, etc.)
- EXPLORE the world of space themed science fiction – from Star Wars themed projects to making costumes,
- MAKE friends, ENJOY amazing summer experiences and CREATE memories for a lifetime!
- Your little maker/s will take home a project each day
- Costume day – make costumes and take spectacular photos using a green screen
- Weekly Friday scrapbooking, including a polaroid photo, teacher’s note and prizes
- Build and play style days, where once your little maker has made something awesome, they will participate in activities and games that use that creation to raise the fun factor!
Every day will be unique and full of imagination, creativity and hands-on fun. There will also be a number of science demonstrations to inspire a lifelong love for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
Drop off time: 8:30 – 9:30am*
Pick up time: 4:00 – 4:30pm*
What your child needs to bring with them each day:
- Water bottle
- Lunch and snacks (nut free – following “school rules”)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. I have multiple children, does MiniMakers offer sibling discounts?
A. Certainly! We provide 20% off the price for second siblings, 30% off for the third, 40% off for the fourth and so on. We appreciate that keeping your children together over summer is important for many families and we offer sibling discounts when signing up multiple makers. To ensure you get your spot in the camp, we suggest booking through the website and then contact us for applying the credit back. Alternatively, you can book with us over the phone and we can reflect the discount in real time.
Q. What is the ratio of instructors to students?
A. The maximum ratio is 1 instructor to 6 students at MiniMakers since we believe in strong and personal connections within our studio to ensure your Maker is supported, safe and having fun. This maximum ratio is also preserved during any off-site field trips.
Q. What is included with the camp tuition?
A. Everything! Except lunches and snacks. Please ensure your little maker brings enough food for the day, just like they do for school. Everything else is included, from materials, to supplies, popcorn at MiniMakers, and entrance fees during field trips, etc.
Q. What are child safe tools?
A. MiniMakers uses specially engineered tools that can cut wood or plastic, but cannot cut skin. For instance, the jigsaws they use vibrate instead of moving in strokes, so that when it is in contact with something soft/materials with low resistance (like skin), it does not cut through and/or cause injury. When moving against something rigid or fibrous like wood, the vibrations are enough to cut through the material. Safety is our top priority and all of the tools the kids use here at MiniMakers have been specially made to ensure the safety of our little makers. We encourage all parents to come visit and see a demo of the tools, to learn about how they work and how your little maker can use them safely to bring their imagination to life.
Q. Are the camps indoors or outdoors?
A. Both! Our camps run mostly in our studio, with field trips to sites like the Space Centre. If the weather is conducive, we will also bring the makers to the adjacent park for an hour, for some mid-day physical and sporty fun.
Q. What are all the camp themes?
A. During the 2022 summer, we will operate on a 5 week rotating schedule of themes to ensure that there is something new for everyone who signs up for more than 1 week. Each theme combines learning materials, science experiments, building projects and activities specific to the theme.
This is what a 5 week cycle looks like:
- Week 1 – Not-Lost-in-Space
- Week 2 – Under the Sea
- Week 3 – Prehistoric Animals + Dinosaurs
- Week 4 – Forces of Nature
- Week 5 – Around the World
Q. Do you offer half days or part time classes?
A. During the Summer School-Break, we offer full time classes for summer camps. Any remaining spaces at the end of May are then offered in morning and afternoon half day options. If this is of interest, please join our waitlist for half day notifications which will be sent out if there are spaces available on June 1st. All of the camps are 5 day sessions, but we always offer single day sessions as part of our Makers Club, with classes running Monday to Friday from 3pm onwards, all year.