- This event has passed.
Summer Camp “Around the World” – Ages 8-12 – July 25, 2022 to July 29, 2022 – All Day – 8:30am to 4:30pm
July 26 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
An event every day that begins at 8:30 am, repeating until July 29, 2022
Weekly Theme – Around the World!
During this amazing summer camp, your little maker will be virtually taken around the world and back again, all the while exploring cultures, history, traditions and science! Planes, trains, boats and even satellites and spacecraft will make an appearance this week as they learn about our home planet and the peoples who make it wonderful.
During the week, your little maker will:
- learn about a wide range of travel topics (from how jet engines work, flight technology, economics of trade, unique cultures and history etc.)
- build their own creations (ranging from planes and robots to customized creations using child safe tools and builders kits – all which they get to keep!)
- take two field trips in our MakersBus to the Canadian Flight Museum and the Space Centre / Vancouver Maritime Museum
- perform a number of science experiments (e.g. making a compass, magnetism and magnetic fields, cartography and map making, etc.)
- explore travel in fiction – from your favourite destination brought to life on a green screen picture of your little maker to cultural dress from around the world
- make friends, have amazing summer experiences and memories for a lifetime!
Some of the highlight features are:
- Your little makers will take home a project each day
- Costume day – make costumes and take amazing photos using a green screen
- Weekly Friday scrapbooking, including a polaroid photo, teacher’s note and prizes
- Build and play style where once your little maker has made something awesome, activities and games that use that creation make it all the more fun!
Every day will be unique and full of imagination, creativity and hands-on fun. There will also be a number of science demonstrations to inspire a lifelong love for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
Drop off time: 8:30 – 9:30am*
Pick up time: 4:00 – 4:30pm*
What your child needs to bring with them each day:
- Water bottle
- Lunch and snacks (nut free – following “school rules”)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. I have multiple children, does MiniMakers offer sibling discounts?
A. Certainly! We provide 20% off the price for second siblings, 30% off for the third, 40% off for the fourth and so on. We appreciate that keeping your children together over summer is important for many families and we offer sibling discounts when signing up multiple makers. To ensure you get your spot in the camp, we suggest booking through the website and then contact us for applying the credit back. Alternatively, you can book with us over the phone and we can reflect the discount in real time.
Q. What is the ratio of instructors to students?
A. The maximum ratio is 1 instructor to 6 students at MiniMakers since we believe in strong and personal connections within our studio to ensure your Maker is supported, safe and having fun. This maximum ratio is also preserved during any off-site field trips.
Q. What is included with the camp tuition?
A. Everything! Except lunches and snacks, please ensure your little maker brings enough food for the day, just like school. Everything else is included from materials, to supplies, to entrance fees during field trips, etc.
Q. What are child safe tools?
A. MiniMakers uses specially engineering tools that can cut wood or plastic but cannot cut skin. For example, the jigsaws they will use vibrate instead of stroke which means that when it is in contact with something soft (like skin), it does not cut or cause injury. When it is against something rigid or fibrous, like wood, the vibrations are enough to cut through the material. Safety is our top priority and all of the tools have been specially made to ensure the safety of our little makers. We encourage all parents to come and see a demo of the tools to learn about how they work and how your little maker can use them to bring their imagination to life.
Q. Are the camps indoors or outdoors?
A. Both! Our camps run mostly in studio or field trips sites like the Space Centre. If the weather is good, we will also bring the makers to the adjacent park for an hour for some physical fun midday.
Q. What are all the camp themes?
A. During the 2022 summer, we operate on a 5 week rotating schedule of themes to ensure something new for everyone. Each theme combines learning materials, science experiments, building projects and activities specific to the theme. The following is the
Week 1 – Not-Lost-in-Space
Week 2 – Underwater
Week 3 – Dinosaurs + Prehistoric Animals
Week 4 – Forces of Nature
Week 5 – Around the World
Q. Do you offer half days or part time classes?
A. During April and May, we offer full time classes for summer camps. Any remaining spaces at the end of May are then offered in morning and afternoon half day options. If this is of interest, please join our waitlist for half day notifications and if there are spaces available on June 1st, we will notify you. All of the camps are 5 day sessions but we always offer single day sessions as part of MakersClub, with classes running daily from 3pm onwards, all year.